Thursday 28 July 2011

So - we are in Pai, Thailand right now. It is in the north of the country, a four hour country bus journey from Chiang Mai and I feel SO out of place. Primarily because I am missing the look to fit in to this place: imagine the love-child of Yoko Ono and Bob Marley founding a town in the foothills of Thailand and spraying it with peace, happiness and tattoo parlours. Yes, we are in the epitome of what can be shamelessly constituted as the modern day capital of the western white hippy, the vegan, the tofu muncher and conservation/environmentalist freak (whilst still riding fuel consuming mopeds EVERYWHERE). Yes. these lovely fellows are generally clad in hemp, have many opinions on the universe and tend to sit on the street playing bongos, chanting and cuddling the rabid local street dogs. They are tattood to the point that clothing becomes futile and Bob blares out of every speaker in town "Buffallo soldier...". Now don't get me wrong, I love a good hippy like any other person, once I even wanted to be one. But my dear friends, in my Topshop dress and my tattoo-free complexion I feel out of place. While my ipod screams hippie, my heart screams hamburger.

But Pai is still worth a visit, swing yourself on a moped and explore the waterfalls, the tempels and the jungle. Yes, when I say 'swing yourself on a moped', know how to bloody work one first, thankfully G is a very capable driver and I have not ended up in Thai A&E yet. Yet.

Of ourse another thing that could get you into Thai A&E and then perhaps straight to Thai prison is the possibility of consuming certain substances, so care is to be taken at all times. An example would be suspected 'laced peanuts' in a bar called 'Buffallo' (see - BOB ffin MARLEY again!). I suggest not consuming anything offered to you by a man just dressed in dungarees, manically dancing to 'Sexual Healing' whilst giving G deranged 'sexual' looks. No no. Stay away from the drug laced peanuts, and you will not go to prison.

I promise to write you more on Pai. But G needs feeding and I need a cold beer and a hippy to gawp at.

No comments:

Post a Comment